As soon as a spill or release is discovered, the initial action should be to protect personal safety. If safe to do so, observers should take action to prevent the pollutant from entering nearby storm drains, stormwater drop inlets, or local waterways. Ideally the person observing the spill should take action to prevent further spillage and to confine the spilled material.
Please follow the procedures outlined in the Spill Response SOP in order to provide further spill control on site. General spill response training is provided to key UVA Staff located in the areas where petroleum products are stored and used. Whether or not initial containment actions are possible, the observer should immediately notify, or ask their supervisor to notify the FM Service Desk or EHS.
UVA spill response contacts:
- Environmental Health and Safety – (434) 982-4911
- UVA SPCC program manager – Kristin Carter – (434) 982-5034
- UVA Facilities Management Service Desk – (434) 924-1777
If a danger to the public health or safety exists, immediately notify the following:
- University of Virginia Police Department – 911
- City of Charlottesville Fire Department – 911